By Kelly Smith, Contributing Writer
Slow cooking is one of the easiest methods for getting a healthy meal on the table in a snap! Simply toss in a few wholesome ingredients, and by dinnertime you’ve got a satisfying supper waiting for you. That’s why slow cooker recipes are among the most popular meals featured in my free weekly whole food meal plans.
Since slow cooker meals are warm and hearty, they’re especially welcomed during cold winter months when we’re all craving savory comfort foods. This full-flavored dish is definitely a wintertime favorite and is inspired by my love for Greek food.
Although technically speaking, this is a pretty Americanized Greek Chicken recipe, the seasoning used is based on traditional blends. The result is a burst of Greek flavor that makes this dish both rich and satisfying. In fact, I recommend doubling (or tripling) the Greek seasoning mix and keeping it on hand for creating other tasty dishes.
For example, Greek seasoning makes a flavorful addition to burgers and grilled meats. Simply add it to your favorite meat and fire-up the grill for a quick and delicious dinner! Or add it to creamy homemade Greek-style yogurt to create a spicy dip perfect for enjoying your favorite raw veggies.
I typically serve this over basmati rice for my family, but for those of you who are grain-free like me, it’s wonderful over seasoned cauliflower rice. And for those on a non-legume grain-free diet, you can omit the white beans and it’s just as delicious!
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed and sliced
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (approx. 1 lemon)
- 15 oz. fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 2 cups soaked & cooked white beans (or two 14 oz. cans drained & rinsed)
- Optional: Lemon slices and crumbled feta cheese for serving
- Greek Seasoning Mix
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, thyme and sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Lightly coat the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker with olive oil or coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek Seasoning Mix ingredients. Evenly distribute the seasoning mix among the chicken thighs by sprinkling both sides of each thigh with the seasoning mix.
- Place chopped onion and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Then arrange the seasoned chicken thighs over the onions and drizzle the lemon juice across the top.
- Evenly spoon the tomatoes and olives on top of each chicken thigh.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking time, carefully remove the chicken thighs (tongs work best) and place on a platter. Stir in the beans, if using – otherwise, skip this step. Then carefully add the chicken back to the crockpot and continue cooking.
- When ready to serve, place about a half-cup of rice (or grain-free cauliflower rice) on each plate, if desired. Then place the chicken thighs over the rice with a large ladle or two of the white bean mixture. Garnish with lemon wedges and crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Enjoy!