By Rachel Marie, Contributing Writer
The middle of summer means a lot of heat, sun and hopefully fun.
In the midst of summer business of swim lessons, vacation Bible school, and staying up later, we love to have fun outside. We go to splash pads to keep cool, play in the back yard with the hose and often go for bike rides in the evening as the sun is setting.
Always remember to use a good sunscreen or cover up in the sun to prevent skin damage.
Another thing we love is a delicious, healthy popsicle. If you’re wanting a healthy choice, you don’t have to get ones from the grocery store full of unhealthy sweeteners and the bright colors. You can easily make your own!
If you purchase some molds you can make your own popsicles over and over again. We’ve had our molds for about three years. I like silicone push pop molds because they help with the dripping that popsicles often do in the summer months. However, if you don’t have any molds handy, you can easily make these in ice cube trays with popsicle sticks.
Today, I‘d like to share with you a recipe for delicious chocolate avocado popsicles that are full of antioxidants and healthy fats. They’re perfect for summer!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082306OW/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0082306OW&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20&linkId=HJSGWPVAZKKHFTD3″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]cocoa powder[/url]
- 1 cup of milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- ½ cup water
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of a sweentener (like [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4IGS3U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00B4IGS3U&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20&linkId=XPDGYNKG3C7XTIKB” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]honey[/url], [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083QJUL8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0083QJUL8&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20&linkId=CLAU62JHDNTNSLUI” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]maple syrup[/url], or spoonable stevia)
- 1 teaspoon of [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UN7PI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0002UN7PI&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20&linkId=WZCQP46WP3RRMDD6″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]vanilla[/url]
- Variations: If you don’t have any avocados you can use bananas. You can also add peppermint extract for a mint flavor or 1-2 teaspoons of instant coffee for a mocha flavor.
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Cut avocados, remove pits, then scoop into your blender.
- Add all other ingredients into your blender.
- Start on low setting and slowly move to fast until mixture has formed a puffy, pudding-like substance.
- Taste to ensure the flavor and add water, milk or sweetener as needed.
- Once you like the taste, pour into your molds. Since the mixture is thick you’ll probably need a spoon to help.
- Freeze for a couple hours and ENJOY!
Check out these these other healthy popsicle recipes:
- Blueberry Coconut Popsicles
- Watermelon Cucumber Popsicles
- Iced Coffee Popsicles
- Raspberry Coconut Popsicles
- Blueberry Sour Cream Popsicles