By Brandy, Contributing Writer
I needed to come up with a new granola bar recipe that was both wheat-free AND rice free since my son is allergic to both. And since I usually make my favorite granola bars with crispy brown rice cereal, I wondered what I could use that would be remotely close.
On the cereal aisle, I explored my options. The choices were slim, but one bag of cereal that I’d never tried before caught my eye.
Puffed millet. I decided to give it a whirl.
On its own, puffed millet’s texture reminds me of tiny popcorn pieces. The flavor is subtle and very similar to a rice cake.
And for granola bars? Well, puffed millet works out perfectly, providing just the right amount of texture and flavor for this delightful treat!
- 1/4 cup [url href=”https://secure.ttpurchase.com/F574EDF0-1E0B-90B3-0E8185B8A116425E” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]coconut oil[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4IGS3U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00B4IGS3U&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20&linkId=XPDGYNKG3C7XTIKB” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]honey[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EA3M92/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EA3M92&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]sucanat[/url]
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2008/04/soaking-oatmeal.html” target=”_blank”]oats[/url]
- 1 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVLS2O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EVLS2O&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]puffed millet[/url]
- 1 teaspoon [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UN7PI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0002UN7PI&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20&linkId=WZCQP46WP3RRMDD6″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]vanilla[/url]
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://themarathonmom.com/roasted-pumpkin-seeds.htm” target=”_blank”]roasted pumpkin seeds[/url]
- Stir oats and puffed millet in large bowl.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, melt oil, honey, and sugar until bubbly, for no more than two minutes. Stir constantly.
- Let oil/honey/sugar mixture cool for 2-3 minutes, then add vanilla and stir.
- Pour liquid mixture over oats, millet, and pumpkin seeds, and stir thoroughly.
- Grease an 8×8 glass pan or [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IZIC8I/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001IZIC8I&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]parchment paper[/url]-lined pan; then pour mixture into pan.
- Press down firmly. This step is just as important as the mixing. [b]Packing down the granola helps the bars stay together![/b]
- Place granola in freezer for a few minutes or let cool on counter until set.
- Once set, turn pan upside down on cutting board. Then cut into the size bars you like.
- Store in fridge or at room temperature.
So delicious! Hope you enjoy!