Here are some sweet Mother’s Day memories with my 93-years-young grandmother and a Mother’s Day gift guide for the healthy minded moms in your life.
We sat around the old wooden table, handmade by Grandpa, sipping tea and slapping cards down. Gigi has ALWAYS won every card game. At 93 her mind is as sharp as ever, and she doesn’t mind whipping us again and again. Even when we teach her new games, she somehow manages to educate us on how to properly win.
I sit there in awe of her. In awe of her class and grace, in awe of her love and wisdom. As I grow older and mature, my respect and admiration for this woman who is my grandmother increases tenfold, especially after each visit with her. Knowing that she rode 13 hours in a car at 93 to spend time with our family fills my joy tank to overflowing for days.
I had just been discussing the possibility of a Mother’s Day gift guide with my team here at Keeper of the Home when I realized that here sat a woman who has cherished 70 years of being a mother. Who better to share memories of Mother’s Day and favorite gift ideas than a woman who has known so many?
Listening to her retell her sweet memories was a treasured gift in and of itself. According to Gigi, “the thing I like most are the times when I had breakfast served to me in bed. Even when my children were grown, I still got breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day”.
The thing I like most are the times when I had breakfast served to me in bed. Even when my children were grown, I still got breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day. And I always had coffee served to me in bed from my husband, not just on Mother’s Day.
He would make the coffee and then take it to her. Then take his shower while she made breakfast.
Gigi also loves receiving flowers and special cards. She said,
I saved quite a few, they (Mother’s Day cards) are always extra pretty and have a nice note.
Other gifts that stand out from over the years for Gigi also include:
- Going out to dinner so she didn’t have to cook….of course, on pretty much all holidays I know its really hard to get in touch with Gigi on the phone because she is taken out to breakfast, lunch and dinner for days!
- Help in garden planting, weeding, and mulching, especially as this has become more difficult over the years for Gigi. She really loves gardening, so this is very special to her. She also highly valued a homegrown garden. I remember helping Gigi in her gardens when I was a child, picking giant pole beans and eating them. ;)
Similarly my mother, now referred to as ‘Granny,’ shared that her favorite Mother’s Days were those when my big sister and I made her breakfast and when the family gathered at her own grandmother’s house, who we affectionately called ‘Little Granny’.
My mother-in-law is quick each spring to request that her children and grandchildren mulch her yard for Mother’s Day. Brilliant woman! Her whole yard is mulched in an hour and then she serves a meal and has her entire family there to celebrate. :)
In honor of these women, their wisdom and healthy choices, we put together ideas based on their favorite memories for our Mother’s Day Gift Guide for the Healthy Minded Mom:
This burlap grow bag is perfect for growing veggies, herbs and flowers right on your patio or porch.
The Boskke Sky Planter is an upside-down hanging planter. It has a locking disk and mesh to hold plant soil in place, and an internal reservoir system that gradually feeds water to plant roots. The Skyplanter allows you to save space while transforming indoor spaces with greenery.
Woolly pockets are soft-sided, breathable and made from 100% recycled plastic bottles. First, you hang it up: it’s as easy as attaching it to wood, concrete, masonry or even chain link. Then you plant herbs, succulents, or any of your favorite plants.
Because any woman who loves to be in the kitchen needs a pretty apron, don’t you agree? (And even if she doesn’t love to be in the kitchen!) It has a pocket for tucking utensils, your phone, or that long-lost thing you found under the kitchen table when you were cleaning up after a meal. It’s made using fair trade, certified organic fabric sourced from an eco-friendly textile artisan.
A Spa Day at Home
Why not plan a spa day at home? Make a sugar scrub together and then paint your nails….making the sugar scrub is as easy as this:
Here’s the recipe:
- 1-1/2 cups [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046IIGDA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0046IIGDA&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Brown Sugar[/url]
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T33HMM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004T33HMM&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil[/url] or Coconut Oil
- 1/8 cup local, [url href=”http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_raw_honey.htm” target=”_blank”]raw Honey[/url]
- 1/4 teaspoon of desired scent options: Homemade [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ELL26A/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001ELL26A&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Pure Vanilla Extract[/url], Lemon Juice, essential oils of choice, including [url href=”https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/#AID=087892&BID=676″ target=”_blank”]Lavender[/url], orange, or any citrus
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together to form a paste. Add scent if you would like to, but it is not necessary.
- Store body scrub in a sealed, airtight glass container in your shower or by the sink. No need to refrigerate.
- To use, scoop some into the palm of your hand and massage skin as needed.
Get more natural skincare DIY ideas and make it a day Mom will love: she’ll feel beautiful AND she’ll get to spend time with you!
I’ve shared before that I love the nail polishes from 100% Pure, because I know they’re free of chemicals and toxins. They have a variety of colors that are fun and pretty, too. My girls and I especially love Mint (pictured above) and Kiss.
Is your mom a queen bee? Help a new mom soothe labor pains or any mom soothe migraines, backaches, or sore muscles.
Some of my mother’s favorite gifts over the years have been bird houses and bird feeders. She loves bird watching and has a garden full of them.
Perfect for Breakfast in Bed: Bamboo Serving Tray and Mom Superpower Mug
Pamper her (or yourself) for months with the health benefits and luxurious feel of these oils and creams. Unlock one of nature’s most versatile resources for natural beauty with this Tree of Life beauty box. Talk about elegantly packaged! It contains a signature sugar scrub, whipped body butter, lip balm tube and tin, and soap. All have 5 or less ingredients, AND are edible and made exclusively with Skinny & Co. Raw Coconut Oil. Give as a Mother’s Day gift or keep it all to yourself!
Last, but not least, and I might be a little biased about this one…Mother’s Day happens to be my hubby’s busiest season. He is the founder and CEO of a company that sells musical gifts and the music boxes are always a hit for moms. I just might have several sitting around my house ;) All of mine are full of precious trinkets and pictures. The two pictured sit on my desk right under my favorite picture of all the kiddos when they were a bit younger. This jeweled design is the most popular, but my favorite is the Italian. ;) You can find most designs on Amazon.
Bottom line: whatever you choose to do, spend time with the mothers, grandmothers, and other special women in your life to honor and love them!
By the way, my grandmother and mother were stay-at-home moms and I was a stay-at-home mom for 17 years until I came on board here at Keeper of the Home.
If you’re a stay-at-home mom, know that you have the most important job in the world whether you are employed elsewhere or not.
I hear from moms all the time that feel like less of a woman because they don’t have a ‘real’ job. You DO have a real job and its NOT an easy one. Don’t sell yourself short or downplay what you do.
I’ve had these sorts of days myself, so know that you are NOT a failure! :)
Keep up the good work! And Happy Mother’s Day!
What’s your favorite Mother’s Day memory? What Mother’s Day gifts do you love to share?