By Stacy Karen, Contributing Writer
These apple-spice cookies have a light sweetness and soft texture; they’re a perfect grain-free treat for the holidays.
As an added bonus, they are extremely easy to prepare! Just toss everything in the food processor and blend.
These cookies are well-suited to many healing diets and are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and nut-free, thus may be enjoyed by those with various food allergies.
- 2 cups fine shredded coconut
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into smallish pieces
- 16 dates, pitted
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a paste forms (this will only take a few minutes).
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Form mixture into approximately 18 cookies and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Cookies will only be slightly golden. Don't leave in the oven too long or the bottoms of the cookies will burn.
- Remove tray from the oven and let cookies cool completely before serving.
- Note: cookies remain fairly soft and crumble somewhat easily. So, while they are tasty and make a delightful treat, they most likely won't work for gifting in something like a cookie swap (unless packaged very carefully).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. (Adapted from Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook)