Written by Stacy Karen, Contributing Writer
Over the years I’ve learned to start dinner early in the day in order to avoid the stress of cooking with hungry (or cranky) kids around at the 5 o’ clock hour. However, I don’t always manage to do so; on those nights it’s nice to prepare something quick and easy.
These Romano Turkey burgers fit the bill perfectly. I do cut a few corners in order to make them fast, such as buying Romano cheese already shredded and purchasing hamburger buns! Yes, I prefer to make my own, but some days I just can’t.
Follow the instructions in order to make these burgers the quickest way possible.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup Romano cheese, grated
- ⅔ cup onion, minced
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 hamburger buns (Store bought or prepared earlier are both fine - try these homemade hamburger buns when you have more time.).
- Take these burgers to the next level by adding sautéed mushrooms and onions; it adds a lot of flavor.
- If preparing the optional extra veggies, warm some coconut oil or butter in a pan over low heat.
- Chop onions and mushrooms roughly and add to warm pan. Turn heat to medium, stir and allow to cook while you prepare the burgers.
- In a bowl, mix all burger ingredients together (except buns).
- Shape into eight patties.
- Place patties on a broiler pan and broil for 5 minutes, turn and broil for another 5 minutes or so until patties are no longer pink in the middle.
- Continue to stir the veggies every now and again while the patties cook.
- While the patties cool a little, spread buns with mayo and mustard (or whatever fixings you enjoy on burgers).
Any of the following would be well suited as a side dish to these Romano Turkey burgers:
- Veggie tray – make a quick veggie tray with carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes
- A serving of sauerkraut (Bubbie’s is an excellent brand) and a few vegetables
- Cook frozen vegetables of your choice (such as: broccoli, green beans, corn, mixed veggies), toss in butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper
You might also consider forgoing the buns and serving the turkey burgers in a lettuce leaf or as a side to a large dinner salad.
What’s your favorite quick and easy dinner?