- Keeper of the Home - http://www.keeperofthehome.org -
No-Bake Pumpkin Seed Chewy Granola Bars
Posted By Brandy Ferguson On November 21, 2012 @ 3:00 am In Raising healthy eaters,Real Food,Real, whole food,Recipes,Seasonal eating | Comments Disabled
By Brandy , Contributing Writer
I needed to come up with a new granola bar recipe that was both wheat-free AND rice free since my son is allergic to both . And since I usually make my favorite  granola bars with crispy brown rice cereal, I wondered what I could use that would be remotely close.
On the cereal aisle, I explored my options. The choices were slim, but one bag of cereal that I’d never tried before caught my eye.
Puffed millet. I decided to give it a whirl.
On its own, puffed millet’s texture reminds me of tiny popcorn pieces. The flavor is subtle and very similar to a rice cake.
And for granola bars? Well, puffed millet works out perfectly, providing just the right amount of texture and flavor for this delightful treat!
Pumpkin Seed Chewy Granola Bars
- 1/4 cup coconut oil 
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sucanat 
- 2 cups oats 
- 1 cup puffed millet 
- 1 teaspoon vanilla 
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds 
- Stir oats and puffed millet in large bowl.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, melt oil, honey, and sugar until bubbly, for no more than two minutes. Stir constantly.
- Let oil/honey/sugar mixture cool for 2-3 minutes, then add vanilla and stir.
- Pour liquid mixture over oats, millet, and pumpkin seeds, and stir thoroughly.
- Grease an 8×8 glass pan or parchment paper -lined pan; then pour mixture into pan.
- Press down firmly. This step is just as important as the mixing. Packing down the granola helps the bars stay together!
- Place granola in freezer for a few minutes or let cool on counter until set.
- Once set, turn pan upside down on cutting board. Then cut into the size bars you like.
- Store in fridge or at room temperature.
So delicious! Hope you enjoy!
Article printed from Keeper of the Home: http://www.keeperofthehome.org
URL to article: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/11/no-bake-pumpkin-seed-chewy-granola-bars.html
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/pumpkin-seed.jpg
 Brandy: http://www.marathonmom.com
 since my son is allergic to both: http://themarathonmom.com/big-immediate-changes-in-our-family.htm
 my favorite: http://themarathonmom.com/crispy-chocolate-chip-granola-bars.htm
 Image: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/010-800x533.jpg
 Image: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/pumpkin-seed-granola-bars-3.jpg
 coconut oil: http://secure.ttpurchase.com/7AD895E1-1E0B-90B3-0E6BEBF8A4D37D94
 sucanat: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EA3M92/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EA3M92&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20
 oats: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2008/04/soaking-oatmeal.html
 puffed millet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVLS2O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EVLS2O&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20
 vanilla: http://themarathonmom.com/how-to-make-vanilla-extract.htm
 roasted pumpkin seeds: http://themarathonmom.com/roasted-pumpkin-seeds.htm
 parchment paper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IZIC8I/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001IZIC8I&linkCode=as2&tag=keeofthehom-20
Copyright © 2012 Keeper of the Home. All rights reserved.