By Brandy, Contributing Writer
I needed to come up with a new granola bar recipe that was both wheat-free AND rice free since my son is allergic to both. And since I usually make my favorite granola bars with crispy brown rice cereal, I wondered what I could use that would be remotely close.
On the cereal aisle, I explored my options. The choices were slim, but one bag of cereal that I'd never tried before caught my eye.
Puffed millet. I decided to give it a whirl.
On its own, puffed millet's texture reminds me of tiny popcorn pieces. The flavor is subtle and very similar to a rice cake.
And for granola bars? Well, puffed millet works out perfectly, providing just the right amount of texture and flavor for this delightful treat!
Pumpkin Seed Chewy Granola Bars
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup puffed millet
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Stir oats and puffed millet in large bowl.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, melt oil, honey, and sugar until bubbly, for no more than two minutes. Stir constantly.
- Let oil/honey/sugar mixture cool for 2-3 minutes, then add vanilla and stir.
- Pour liquid mixture over oats, millet, and pumpkin seeds, and stir thoroughly.
- Grease an 8×8 glass pan or parchment paper-lined pan; then pour mixture into pan.
- Press down firmly. This step is just as important as the mixing. Packing down the granola helps the bars stay together!
- Place granola in freezer for a few minutes or let cool on counter until set.
- Once set, turn pan upside down on cutting board. Then cut into the size bars you like.
- Store in fridge or at room temperature.
So delicious! Hope you enjoy!