Written by Erin Odom, Contributing Writer
My family doesn’t eat fancy lunches. I usually send leftovers with my husband to work, and my girls and I eat mostly snack-like plates. It’s just easier than stopping halfway through the day and preparing an entire meal.
However, there are days I get a craving for a little more–but I still don’t want to stop to cook up anything elaborate!
On those days, I look at what I have on hand and throw something a little nicer together. A few weeks ago that entailed some chickpeas, tomatoes, an avocado, goat cheese and some drizzled oil and vinegar. Here’s what I came up with:
10-Minute Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4-1/2 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp. goat cheese, crumbled
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
(Note: Chickpeas can be cooked and frozen in big batches, so you always have them on hand and ready! Or, you can just use canned chickpeas, and all you have to do is drain them. I go towards canned in busier life seasons, like while I’m pregnant. I know–BPA, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep sane!)
1. Combine chickpeas, tomatoes and avocado in a bowl (or even right on your plate!).
2. Top salad with crumbled goat cheese.
3. Drizzle with oil and vinegar to taste.
4. Enjoy your quick and easy–yet “fancy”–10-minute lunch.
Want more 10-minute lunch ideas? Check out Stacy’s 10-Minute Turkey Wraps! I also recently put together a post listing my favorite quick and easy lunch ideas. My eBook, Real Food, Real Easy, also contains an entire section on easy-to-put-together lunches.