Written by Mindy, Contributing Writer
Chia seeds are an amazing powerhouse of nutrition that boast a lengthy list of health benefits. Although I've heard of the many wonderful benefits of chia seeds for quite some time now, I only recently decided to "take the plunge" and try them out! And I'm so glad that I did - I'm hooked!
The many health benefits of chia seeds combined with the fact that they are so versatile and easy to consume, make this superfood a definite winner in my book. If you've never tried chia seeds before, I highly recommend them as an easy and affordable way to get some extra nutrition in your diet!
Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids (contains more than salmon!)
- Easy for your body to digest and assimilate
- Won't go rancid like flax seeds
- Does not contain estrogen like flax seeds
- High in antioxidants
- A complete protein
- High in calcium, iron, and potassium
- Neutral taste (very easy to add to a variety of dishes)
- Help keep you hydrated
- Give you physical energy and endurance
- Can be made into delicious, healthy, and easy homemade pudding (my personal favorite!)
Chia seeds can hold up to nine times their weight in water. When they come into contact with a liquid they turn that liquid into a gel similar to a loose "jello". This property makes chia seeds perfect for thickening a variety of dishes including this delicious chocolate peanut butter pudding!
This recipe would be easily adaptable to other varieties of pudding as well. Experiment with different flavors such as vanilla, berry, lemon, peach, maple, etc. The possibilities are endless!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Pudding
- 2 cups milk (may substitute coconut or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar OR desired sweetener to taste
Combine all ingredients in a high-power blender or food processor. Blend or process until completely smooth. You may eat it right away, but it is best after it has been completely chilled in the refrigerator.
Other Ways to Use Chia Seeds
- Add some to your oatmeal
- Put in salad dressing
- Add to your morning smoothie
- Make a gel and use in place of eggs in baking
- Add to homemade granola or granola bars
- Add some to a bottle of water or kombucha to make an extra hydrating drink
- Use as a substitute to flax seeds in any recipe