For months I've had just the title of this post in my drafts but a blank canvas so to speak. I wanted what I write to be God breathed because in fact we have been waiting on God.
We are all waiting on God at different times in our lives. For you, it could be that baby you have been longing to hold in your arms, an illness to be healed, a family member or friend to come to the Lord, a break-through in your marriage or finances, to start a business, a door to be opened, what ever it is we are left waiting.
In the waiting, the Lord is with you and I, He is faithful!
For all of us though, we are in the instant gratification era, in this stage if life we are used to conveniences and do not like waiting for things. However, the bible is chock full of stories of waiting. Sarah and Abraham, Noah, Moses, Joseph, and dozens of stories that talk about the visions the people had and their having to wait on the Lord, but in all of the stories the Lord is faithful in what He promised them.
We had this verse written on a poster board in our bedroom for a couple of years:
"And then God answered: "Write this. Write what you see.Write it out in big block letters so that it can be read on the run. This vision-message is a witness pointing to what's coming. It aches for the coming—it can hardly wait! And it doesn't lie. If it seems slow in coming, wait. It's on its way. It will come right on time." Habakkuk 2:2-3
For about three years, my husband and I have been waiting for the doors to open, to open our business, we wrote it on the wall and we waited. With my husband being a wellness chiropractor we knew we wanted to teach health in a completely different manor than most doctors are teaching.
At different times we tried to see if the door was open, sometimes there was light behind a crack in the door but it just wouldn't open completely. Over the course of the waiting, God was preparing our hearts for this time, for this place, for this purpose to help change the way health care is provided and to keep God at the center of it all.
Most of the time you will not get the lightening strike sign from God you so desperately want. When waiting on God we often wind up just waiting and waiting but sometimes God wants you to walk out on faith. After much waiting, we decided we just had to walk out on faith. We moved to the town were were going to open up in and while waiting we were starting to make steps to make our vision a reality.
Finally now, my husband and I are relishing in the moment and in all of the waiting I can now see that He was faithful in his promise to us. This song has been a huge encouragement to me, the Lord is faithful and every victory is His power in us.
If you are waiting on the Lord here are some things you can do:
- Do not cease to pray about what you are waiting for and ask others to pray for you. God honors obedience and prayer is a must in your relationship with Him. Listen to Him when you pray, it isn't always about you talking to Him. Sometimes your silence allows you to "hear" Him.
"But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." Micah 7:7
- Be open-minded to God's will and not only your own plan. God is going to take your plan and may make it seem impossible to our human minds. Then He is going to give you two roads. Your way or His way. His way looks harder, but the truth is that it is only your own self-doubt that can stop a "God-thing".
"Now to him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Ephesians 3:20
- Don't get discouraged. What if you wait for three years, and get nowhere. Keep your head up and your heart focused. That breakthrough you have been waiting for will happen, with patience- us moms best friend!
"Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary." Isaiah 40:31
- Open your ears to listen to Him even if it's through the wisdom of others like friends, family or pastors and sometimes in your very own thoughts. But be very careful for doomsdayer's and gloominess. There are some people that want to bring you down. In this case, remove them from the conversation, surround your life with people who lift you up.
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear!" Matthew 11:12
- Have a servants heart. Regardless of where you are in your vision or waiting on God, life should always have a focus on serving God through serving people. If you are worrying about your finances, go feed the homeless, be God to those less fortunate, if you are longing for a baby make a meal for someone who just had a baby, place yourself in places where your heart can grow more dependant on Him.
"This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God." 2 Corinthians 9:12
- Build relationships. If you have a vision to make a difference, then go ahead and start building a future of partners that will prosper when you have been sharpened by God and He releases you to fulfill your destiny.
"You shall love the Lord your God with all of your heart, your mind and your strength and love your neighbor as yourself." Luke 10:27
What are you waiting on God for?
My husband (a wellness chiropractor) has a new feature on my blog called "Ask Dr. Jake", he would be happy to answer any of your health related questions.