When I knew that we were moving to a new house with a much larger master bedroom closet, I made the happy decision to create a "family closet" rather than continue to keep everyone's clothing in their own rooms.
What, you ask, is a family closet? It's a rather unique concept that I learned about initially from larger families, where all of the clothes for the whole household are stored in one convenient place.
Why use a family closet? There are many reasons, but the most popular reasons are:
- For ease of putting laundry away, and keeping all of the dirty laundry together in one place.
- To keep the general clothing mess and mayhem to a minimum.
- To make getting lots of little ones dressed more quickly and easily in the mornings (or into their pajamas in the evenings).
- As a place to store all different sizes/genders of clothing, making it simple to pass clothes from one child to the next as they grow.
- To remove dressers from bedrooms to make more room for beds and lots of sweet kiddos. :)
Take a moment to go on a little tour of our own family closet and consider whether this might be a useful option for your own family:
It's only been a month and a half since we began using a family closet, and even less time that it's been very organized. I still have more than I want to do with it, but I am already impressed at how the clothing mess and stress has disappeared, and my laundry time is beginning to be cut down as I get into the rhythm of using the closet!
Creating a Family Closet @ Lots of Kids
A Family Closet Pictorial @ Lots of Kids
Finding a Laundry System That Works for You @ Organizing Your Way
Laundry Help: The Family Closet @ Raising Olives