By Rachel Marie, Contributing Writer
I see a lot of friends asking in social media about dinner ideas – and I, for one, can always use more ideas.
One night a friend posted that she was having chicken enchiladas so I clicked over to the link, especially since I love Mexican food. The recipe had cream of chicken soup; I don’t normally use that since most of the canned varieties have MSG or even hidden MSG, which gives me terrible headaches.
But I wasn’t going to give up. Surely I could make a real food version. And I tried it!
This recipe only has 5 ingredients and has become one of my go-to’s for a fast dinner or even to bring to a potluck over the years.
5-Ingredient Southwestern Enchiladas
- 10-20 small corn tortillas
- 1 large can of organic chicken or 3 chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 1/2 cupssalsa orsalsa verde
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cup cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1 can of black beans
- Gather ingredients, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook chicken. Sometimes I like to put all wet ingredients into the Crock-Pot and let it cook for a couple of hours.
- Grease a baking dish and line the bottom with tortillas. (A square dish makes enchiladas thicker, a rectangle dish makes them thinner.)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except cheddar and tortillas)and place spoonfuls over the first layer of tortillas thoroughly. Top with cheese.
- Repeat steps until you have a final layer topped with cheese (should be about 3 to 4 layers).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top.
It’s always great when I can find easy dinners, especially if they don’t have a ton of ingredients.
Here’s a list of dinners made with 5 ingredients or less (not counting the salt):
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Easy Tortilla Lasagna
- Gourmet Hamburger Helper
- Roasted Chicken with Squash and Broccoli
- Chicken & Asparagus Penne
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Chicken Nachos
- Pineapple Salsa Tilapia
- And here’s a whole list of 30 recipes with 7 ingredients or less
What are your go-to dinners?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through our links, we earn a small commission, which helps to keep this site going so that we can continue to offer free and useful content, so thanks!